Sarcasm & Cynicism...served up by Single Grl

Life is full of stories and as they say the truth is stranger than fiction. Ask who knows me. I may speak softly, and I may look sweet. But under NO circumstances think for just one second that what you see is what you get. Because when you know me, know the real me you know that I'm anything but what you see. Most of the time. So read on my friends. And you will catch my gripping, views, sarcasm and dry of whit. Read on....I dare you.

Monday, August 07, 2006

Job Woes

I.Hate. My. Job. Or most days I should say: I. HATE. My. Job. When I had started here, had every intention of making this place my stick-to, and building up the 401k, making a name for myself with the company. I can’t say where I work because the company is an International well known corporation. The position I had landed wasn’t a rocket science one, but I would be the pioneer as it was a brand new position. Basically it was plugged to me as a ‘customer service for in-house employee’s’ but that I would be able to put my stamp on it. Originally I adored my boss, who expected nothing but greatness from me and Claire, but he was not above getting dirty….and by that I mean, no job was too small for him.

Then around the holidays, there were some structural changes, and I was shifted from my boss who I refer to as ‘Big Bad’ to another man, whom I refer to as ‘The Chief’. I was scared out of my drawers, because I was taking on more responsibility. Or so I was told. Instead I was stuck with having to deal with and work with Frick and Frack (you all have heard about them from past posts.) There have been good times, and bad times between me and the co-workers. Basically because ‘Duh 1’ is as dumb as a bag or rocks, and she only wants to socialize. http://sarcasm--cynicismviews--spews.blogspot.com/2006_03_01_sarcasm--cynicismviews--spews_archive.html‘Duh 2’ I can tolerate better, but he wants to be in charge, he ‘knows it all’ and has ‘done it all.’ If you listened to ‘Duh 2’ he is the only employee ‘The Chief’ needs. More or less, I sit in my cube, do my work, and am supposed to be keeping an eye on the others. One who doesn’t want to go out of her way to help, and the other who….I can’t even explain it other than my boss actually shuts his door to not listen to them all day.

When I was given more duties, I was given the headache of processing payroll. That was taken from me, and given to ‘Duh 2’. I used to file certain reports, ‘that too has been taken from me. Basically my job has now been reduced to taking messages and data entry. ‘Big Bad’ expect me to drive the number of open work orders down to below an 80 count. But due to monthly PM’s (preventive maintenance), lack of staffing, and parts being on order it is virtually impossible. When I ask ‘The Chief’ how can I get these numbers down, he tells me ‘not to worry, it’s not my problem’ and fluffs it off. GREAT…that solves NOTHING. We are supposed to communicate via walkie talkies’ but sometimes they don’t work. Certain people have Nextel’s so they can communicate via two-way. Months ago I had asked for one, and it was shot down. But it is the most practical because I need to be in touch with janitorial, mechanical and supervisors. (ARGH!!!) At all times.

On top of that, there are reports I must scan to different departments, which is fine. But if the chief isn’t around for me to get them from…I have nothing to do. Because where as I used to open AND close tickets, I am NOW only to OPEN them. ‘Duh 1’ is to close them. She’s a damn file clerk…who can’t even file, why are you giving her my work?!? So today ‘The Chief’ wasn’t in the office. His mechanical supervisor wasn’t in either. So basically that left me with the two thorn’s in my side and a list the size of Virginia of things that could be wrong. What may you ask? Oh let’s see, an assistant supervisor who refuses to carry his walkie, because he feels he shouldn’t have to…so no way to get in touch there. No mechanic’s in my building after 3pm, so God forbid something go amuck because we’d have no one. ‘Duh 2’ telling me I shouldn’t answer my phone, and that being that I can’t get in touch with anyone I shouldn’t sweat it. But it is my problem, and I do sweat it. Because if these employees do not get what they want, it’s my ass on the line. Because it’s my position which is supposed to be the answer solver, and service provider. So I cracked today. I went outside, called my aunt and cried. Because things here will not get better. Nothing will change, and I have no desire to jump to yet another job yet again.

Oh, the good news? Yeah they finally granted me a use of a brand spankin’ new Nex-tel.

3 Comments:

  • At 1:01 PM , Blogger Piccu said...

    Well, at least you have a new Nex-tel. Sorry to hear things are so rough there. Hopefully things will work out somehow for you.

     
  • At 1:44 PM , Blogger Orelinde_03 said...

    From your mouth to God's ears on that. I really do not see things getting any better. Yesterday was the company picnic, thus the company except for one department was shut down. If you didn't attend the picnic, had to take a personal day, so Claire and I opted to go to the beach. When I got home last night decided to check office e-mail.

    Well! I found a nasty e-mail from 'Big Bad' to all major people in my dept. stating we didn't provide coverage in the office for the Help Desk (mainly what I do). Hel-lo! No one worked yesterday! Then this morning I got asked if I intended to share the direct connect number to my Nextel...but I had only been in the office maybe an hour, and was working on a pressing issue.

    I don't see things getting better...and I no longer see any room for me to advance here, basically because the PTB's won't hand over more work. I just have to stop dragging my feet, and update the resume. I'm also toying with the notion to take some civil service tests. *Shrugs* I just have to stop procrastinating. But it's hard, because the benefits here are REALLY GOOD.

     
  • At 2:46 PM , Blogger Piccu said...

    If it seems that nothing will change, then perhaps a change would be good. It definitly wouldn't hurt to look and see if you have better options available.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home