Sarcasm & Cynicism...served up by Single Grl

Life is full of stories and as they say the truth is stranger than fiction. Ask who knows me. I may speak softly, and I may look sweet. But under NO circumstances think for just one second that what you see is what you get. Because when you know me, know the real me you know that I'm anything but what you see. Most of the time. So read on my friends. And you will catch my gripping, views, sarcasm and dry of whit. Read on....I dare you.

Friday, July 21, 2006

Pets for the Pets

Ok, so this one requires a tad of a back story. (Yeah I know, you’re saying when her entries don’t have a back story.) Anyway, here we go: Last year Crazy-Cat-Cousin’s brother-in-law bought his Russian Blue a goldfish and left it in an accessible place for the cat to ‘go fishing’ and possibly get a live meal. Well Crazy-Cat-Cousin thought this cruel and horrid and just disgusting. I thought it clever and hysterical and decided that we’d have to try this with our two cats. (I used to have a red-ear slider turtle so was used to watching it eat live food.)

So last summer when our church had its annual festival, I went and attempted to win some fishies and went home with a prize for Pooka and Cro`i. Uh yeah, I won fish with the full intention of having ‘Snack’ and ‘Lunch’ be chomped on by my babies. Well I got home, and put them in a bowl and placed the bowl on the kitchen floor. Pooka and Cro`i was in awe of these two ‘things’ that were swimming around. Their little heads rotated like crazy as they tracked the fish. Pooka made a timid strike with his paw, dipping it in the bowl and with eyes dilated jumped back like he was shocked. Next Cro`I stuck her nose in, and jumped back because ‘no way in hell’ was she going to be ‘wet and icky’. And there it was confirmed. Pooka and Cro`i enjoyed their meals from the can.

Well, its festival time once again for the church, and mom asked me if I was going to win Pooka and Cro`i their ‘lunch’ and ‘Snack’ fish again. So last night I went down, and instead of winning 2 fishies….wound up with 4 fishies!!! Once again, I trekked these cute little guys home, three are orange…one is silver. And they were placed in the bowl. Well Pooka and Cro`i are fascinated with them. Have not passed a paw anywhere near to the water to investigate. Nope…my little angels now have PETS. My pets have their own PETS! How twisted is this? What ever happened to survival of the fittest? Pooka and Cro`i could barely keep their eyes open this morning because they watched the fish all night. And what you ask are their fishies names? Why, Snack, Lunch, Captain Jack, and Will Turner of course!

2 Comments:

  • At 11:21 AM , Blogger Piccu said...

    How would house cats know that they want to eat fish if they have never seen fish before? Could this be a possibility why they do not try harder to get some protein?

    Maybe it is ingrained in their psyche from years of hunting, but perhaps you have truly domesticated these kitties and instead of eating they just want to enjoy their pets as you enjoy yours.

     
  • At 11:29 AM , Blogger Orelinde_03 said...

    I just figured all cats would go after 'live' critters. After all, they play with their mice toys (little fake mice) so I figured if they did that, they'd go after fish.

    Yesterday Pooka drank from the bowl, and stuck his paw in once. But I told him I would flick him in the nose if he did it again. I also kept telling him (al la Finding Nemo) 'Fish are friends....not food.' He hasn't investigated further....so maybe his curiosity was filled.

    We also left all them alone for a few hours, and when we came home all fish were accounted for. So I think the fascination is wearing off.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home