Sarcasm & Cynicism...served up by Single Grl

Life is full of stories and as they say the truth is stranger than fiction. Ask who knows me. I may speak softly, and I may look sweet. But under NO circumstances think for just one second that what you see is what you get. Because when you know me, know the real me you know that I'm anything but what you see. Most of the time. So read on my friends. And you will catch my gripping, views, sarcasm and dry of whit. Read on....I dare you.

Friday, July 07, 2006

Orelinde's blog is both fun AND educational

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davy_Jones'_Locker

Davy Jones' Locker is an
idiom for the bottom of the sea — the resting place of drowned seamen. It is used as a euphemism for death at sea (e.g. to be "sent to Davy Jones' Locker"); Davy Jones is a nickname (used primarily by sailors) for what would be the devil of the seas.
[
edit]
Origin
The earliest known reference to Davy Jones occurs in
The Adventures of Peregrine Pickle by Tobias Smollett, published in 1751:
This same Davy Jones, according to the mythology of sailors, is the fiend that presides over all the evil spirits of the deep, and is often seen in various shapes, perching among the rigging on the eve of hurricanes, ship-wrecks, and other disasters to which sea-faring life is exposed, warning the devoted wretch of death and woe.
[1]
He is described as having saucer eyes, three rows of teeth, horns, a tail, and blue smoke coming from his nostrils.
The term appears to have been common among sailors, as the name Davy Jones appears often in popular nautical literature.
As is common with slang, the exact origin of "Davy Jones" is hard to discover. These explanations have been proposed:
[2] [3]
A pub owner named David Jones who used to incapacitate hapless drinkers in his ale locker, and send them off aboard ships.
Duffer Jones, a notoriously myopic sailor who often found himself overboard.
Davy comes from Duppy, a
West Indian term for ghost, or from Saint David, also known as Dewi, the patron saint of Wales, while Jones comes from the prophet Jonah.
A euphemism for a "Devil Jonah"; Jonah being a term referring to any bad luck on the ocean.
David Jones, a pirate on the Indian Ocean in the 1630s. - Jan Rogoziński, The Wordsworth Dictionary of Pirates, Ware, Hertfordshire, 1997
Only the first theory explains the locker. The name may have originated in
Wales, where David Jones is a common name.

In Popular Culture


Davy Jones as depicted in Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
Davy Jones is the main villain in the film Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (2006), played by Bill Nighy. He appears along with his crew of half-human half-crustacean sailors aboard The Flying Dutchman. He is portrayed as a mutated cross between a man and an octopus, with a wriggling beard of tentacles. His character seems to be a sea-bound version of the Devil, as he deals with souls, as is common in Devil mythology.
In
SpongeBob SquarePants, in one episode, Mr. Krabs is threatened by the Flying Dutchman to be sent to Davy Jones' locker, which is full of smelly gym socks.
In the videogame
Banjo-Tooie, in the fourth world the boss (a giant anglerfish called Lord Woo Fak Fak) is inside a locker that says: "D. Jones".
In the beginning of the PC Game
The Curse of Monkey Island, the wanna-be pirate Wally describes his toughness by saying "I'm so tough, that in high school I stuffed Davy Jones in his locker!"
In the computer game "
Blood Money" (developed by DMA Design, published by Psygnosis in 1989), the shops in the under water level bear a sign that says "Davy Jones Equipment Locker".
In the song "Run Silent Run Deep", by
Iron Maiden, there is the sentence "The tar black smell of burning oil all the way down to Davy Jones".
In the song "The Irish Ballad", by
Tom Lehrer, a girl, among other crimes, "weighted her brother down with stones and sent him off to Davy Jones".
In the song "Rhymin' and Stealin'" by the
Beastie Boys there is a line "Deliver Colonel Sanders down to Davy Jones' locker".
In the
comic book series "Hellboy", Davy Jones' locker is an underwater room full of jars in the shapes of men. This room is owned by the villainous Bog Roosh, a fish-like witch that draws her power from the souls of drowned sailors.
In the
constructible strategy game Pirates of the Spanish Main, Davy Jones appears as a unique crew for the Cursed faction, and his flagship is the Flying Dutchman.

10 Comments:

  • At 3:03 PM , Blogger Piccu said...

    I don't know why or how, maybe it was Scooby-Doo, but I have always known what is meant by Davy Jones' Locker and who Davy Jones was. Now I know too much about it.

     
  • At 3:10 PM , Blogger Orelinde_03 said...

    I was the opposite of you. I had heard of Davey Jones. And I have heard numerous times about Davey Jones's locker and being sent there. But I never knew why exactly the phrase was created.

    When I was at that pirate museum up in Salem, they didn't even know, except for one kid.

    Sorry for being so over-excited about POTC that I inindated you with info.

     
  • At 3:38 PM , Blogger Piccu said...

    You left out one Davy Jones fact. He was the lead singer of the Monkees.

     
  • At 4:17 PM , Blogger Orelinde_03 said...

    I thought that was what one of their names was!!! I asked Ida this morning.

    Never was a huge Monkee's fan.

     
  • At 7:25 PM , Blogger Piccu said...

    The Monkees are no more than a bad ripoff of the Beetles.

     
  • At 8:46 AM , Blogger Orelinde_03 said...

    True that my friend!

     
  • At 11:21 AM , Blogger Piccu said...

    I must correct myself, it is the Beatles. Sorry Paul and Ringo.

     
  • At 11:34 AM , Blogger Orelinde_03 said...

    Did they contact you about the mis-spelling of the band name? I knew what ya meant :-}

    George was always my favorite Beatle.

     
  • At 12:44 PM , Blogger Piccu said...

    I am just taking precautions, I know how the former Beatles and Apple records like to sue people.

    I guess mine is George, but I really never had a favorite. I love the Beatles, but I have always been a Rolling Stones guy or more a Who guy than a Beatles guy.

     
  • At 2:03 PM , Blogger Orelinde_03 said...

    I've always liked The Who. But it['s weird, because as a kid, I did not like the Rolling Stones. I didn't hate them...just was not a fan of their's at all.

    But as I've grown up, and become a more seasoned music listener, have to say I enjoy The Stones.

    Have you ever seen them in concert?

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home