Sarcasm & Cynicism...served up by Single Grl

Life is full of stories and as they say the truth is stranger than fiction. Ask who knows me. I may speak softly, and I may look sweet. But under NO circumstances think for just one second that what you see is what you get. Because when you know me, know the real me you know that I'm anything but what you see. Most of the time. So read on my friends. And you will catch my gripping, views, sarcasm and dry of whit. Read on....I dare you.

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

July is Hollywood hoopla month

Pirates of the Caribbean:

Keith Richards to Be in 'Pirates' MovieJul 4, 11:15 AM EST
The Associated Press
Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards is lined up to play the swashbuckling father of a pirate in the third installment of the "Pirates of the Caribbean" series, star Johnny Depp said Tuesday.
Producer Jerry Bruckheimer said Richards would have a cameo role as the father of the flamboyant Captain Jack Sparrow, played by Depp, in the third "Pirates" movie, which is due to resume filming next month in California.
Depp, 43, has said he adopted the body language and mannerisms of the veteran guitarist to create Captain Jack's character.
"We're all looking forward to the idea of Keith coming in and doing a cameo," Depp told a London news conference to promote "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest," which opens in Britain on Thursday.
"You never say it's definite until the guy steps on the set and the camera is rolling. But it's looking very, very good," he said.
Co-star Orlando Bloom said he was similarly enthusiastic about working with Richards — provided the rocker is in good health.
"I can't wait to see him — well, if he doesn't kill himself falling out of coconut trees," Bloom said. "Very rock and roll."
Richards, 62, suffered a head injury in late April, when he reportedly fell out of a palm tree while vacationing in Fiji.
Having made a full recovery, Richards will join the Stones for their rescheduled European tour, beginning Tuesday in Milan.
More on "Dead Man's Chest"

Then you have the 'Chick Flick': The Devil Wears prada

I had thought I had purchased the books months ago. Before it was even thought of being turned in to movie foder. But to my chagrin, and three (yes count 'em three) stacks of unread books, I do not own such book. So, Friday night, Ida and I went and saw the movie. It was cute. Meryl Streep does not disappoint, and I must say 'evil' looks good on her. Not only did she look stunning, short white hair and all...but she had the tyrant, spoiled...hard-ass down to a tee. Anne Hathaway I think is enjoying being 'the 'next Julia Roberts'. I said it when I saw 'Princess Diaries'...and I stick to it. She looks like a younger version...shetakes the 'cutsie roles', and she has the bawdy, raucous laughter. Being that the book and movie focus's on the fashion industry....it was nice that they didn't sugarcoat any of the characters. They were underhanded, and back-stabbing. They were mean and obnoxious. It was pretty much true to life with how that profession runs. Women and men (even straight) men seem to be enjoying this movie and I will probably own it when it comes out on dvd. There is one line that Meryl Streep's character says, and it pretty much her coin phrase...'That's all.' And it works. It works no matter how often she utters it...because of her dismissive tone. Yes...I do not think this is a teeny-bopper movie...I think this is all MERYL in this one. And I won't even touch Stanley Tucci's character. Because he has once again delivered.

Which now brings me to: Superman Returns

As a kid, I enjoyed the Superman flicks. All of them. Not enough however to own them on dvd or watch them repeatedly. As an adult, I am more a Batman and X-Man fan. So when they began discussing remaking Superman, especially after the whole Christopher Reeves (and Dana) heartbreaks, felt that it was appaling. I mean, why fix what is not broken? And ok, with the movie technology we have now, yes the Superman movie was in need of being re-done. But still I think it is safe to say that why strip Christopher Reeves of a role?

But then I found out Kevin Spacey was playing Lex Luther. Kevin. Spacey. Taking on the super bad role of a super hero movie. And that made me want to go see Superman Returns. I think the cast was a good selection. Routh who got his start on soap operas has no where to go but up. And if he selects his roles carefully, think he will be Hollywood's next 'it boy'. Kevin Spacey as Lex....made the role his own. His one liners, the way he pronounces Kryptonite....even when he has to deliver lines from the old movies. Kevin Spacey is back. I strongly recommend people to see the movie. Superman fan or otherwise.

Which brings me back to Pirates. Thursday night Ida and I will be going to the midnight showing. Because as the tag-line for the film says: "Jack IS Back". And I for one can not wait!

4 Comments:

  • At 4:26 PM , Blogger Piccu said...

    I also liked Superman Returns, although Kevin Spacey didn't do it for me like he did for you. The Devil Wears Prada, well I'll just take your word for it.

    I also am excited for the next Pirates movie. This is probably the movie I have anticipated the most this summer. I am not so dedicated as you, but I hope to see it this weekend or at least for a Work Skippin' Wednesday matinee. I just hope they can keep it as fun as the first one and it doesn't suffer from sequel-itis.

     
  • At 4:47 PM , Blogger Orelinde_03 said...

    I have been hearing a lot of good things about this follow-up to POTC. So I hope it is worth our while. X-Men III and POTC were the two movies I had been waiting for this summer.

    I would have gone on Friday, when it hit the theaters...but Saturday I am hosting people for my block's block party and have a ton of stuff to do. And I am too much of a movie-geek to wait over the weekend to see it.

    It's funny because on HBO, they are showing Superman and Superman II. And I was watching a bit. Gene Hackman was great as Lex, back in the day. But Kevin Spacey did it for me in the new one. But hey! That's what makes people great....we can have different opinions, takes and differences and still get along!

    Do you really think the Hulk follow-up's will be any better than the one with Eric Bana?

     
  • At 5:04 PM , Blogger Piccu said...

    I hope so, but I had heard earlier that it was going to be a straight to video feature, which doesn't make me very eager to see it. I actually did like the Hulk, but I can see where it went wrong.

    I am also looking forward to Miami Vice, Snakes on a Plane, Talledega Nights and Jet Li's Fearless. I have to see those movies in theaters this summer.

     
  • At 10:55 AM , Blogger Orelinde_03 said...

    Until I had seen the trailer for Miami Vice, was a little nervous about an actual remake of the tv show. But it does look like it will kick some serious ASS.

    Have not yet seen or heard anything about Snakes On A Plane. And Jet Li always delivers, no matter.

    As for Talledega Nights that does look hysterical. I was rolling last night, watching the trailer.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home