Sarcasm & Cynicism...served up by Single Grl

Life is full of stories and as they say the truth is stranger than fiction. Ask who knows me. I may speak softly, and I may look sweet. But under NO circumstances think for just one second that what you see is what you get. Because when you know me, know the real me you know that I'm anything but what you see. Most of the time. So read on my friends. And you will catch my gripping, views, sarcasm and dry of whit. Read on....I dare you.

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Why annoy your customer?

I am sure 'Big Bad' would so agree with this one. Speaking of 'Big Bad' and totally going off topic, have yet ANOTHER of his snor-tastic marathon meetings. I now actually try to find alternative escape routes so as to NOT say good night to him when I leave the office.

Anyway, last Thursday Aunt Ida and I went up to Salem, MA for a fun-filled trip to get our shares of thrills and chills. On one hand I was slightly disappointed as Salem, was indeed NICE. It was a quaint seaside village, which yes had loads of cemateries, wax museums, and spooky things to do. But they did not shove witch craft down your throats. It is so nice, we (and that includes mum and the cats) are going to go up there in November for Thanksgiving. If anyone does want to go to Salem, MA...I strongly suggest staying at www.TheSalemInn.com

Last Thursday, we had dinner at a resteraunt I found called Strega, which proclaimed they were 'Italian with a French Twist'. Ok, why not I thought, although the reviews I read were mixed. So upon entering I tell the hostess that we have reservations for 8pm to do a foot tour, and need to be out of the restaraunt by 7:30 the latest. Not a problem, we're told as we're seated. Ida got psyched because she saw a pasta dish HER grandmother (my great-grandmother) used to make, and ordered it.

Up until the main course came, we were enjoying the place, the appatizer of fried calamari was great, my drink quite refreshing. Then the meal comes, and IT IS NOT WHAT IDA REMEMBERED HER GRANDMOTHER MAKING. It turned out to be spaghetti with meatballs. The waitress sees Ida's face fall and questions her, and Ida tells her such, BUT also says she will KEEP IT and does not make a fuss over the disappointing turn of events.

Well, instead of the waitress just letting it go, EVERY TIME she comes to check on us, she berates Ida that this is what the dish is. Ida and I said to her, it isn't, but it's ok. In fact Ida liked the spaghetti & meatballs, and told the waitress. The waitress came back and said Ida had no idea what she was talking about, because the pasta wasn't even spaghetti, but linguini. And if Ida wanted, she would "show her the box the pasta had come in." WHAT??? Why would an 'Italian restaraunt' even admit to using boxed pasta when they 'pride themselves' in making evrything fresh?

Needless to say, when we go back to Salem, in November, will NOT be eatting at Strega. Shame on me, for taking a chance when the place had mixed reviews. But why? Why berate your customer who isn't making a fuss over a dish you serve which is not the same dish from her childhood? And even if Ida was wrong, would you not let it drop? Whatever happened to the saying ' the customer is always right'?

4 Comments:

  • At 3:14 PM , Blogger Piccu said...

    Sounds like the waitress was more French than Italian.

    I would bet that most "Italian" restaurants do not make their own pasta, at least in this country. Any ethnic food that is served in this country seems to get Americanized.

    Taco Bell is a good example. It tastes good, especially if that is the closest to Mexican as you get for months on end, it is spicy, especially when you add the hot sauce. But when you go to an authentic Mexican restaurant, the food tastes a little bland. I do not think that Mexican eat food as spicy as we think they do.

    I am sure that any native Italian wouldn't be caught dead in an Olive Garden, but around this area, that is as close as we get to authentic Italian food.

    The waitress had probably had this reaction to their food before and automatically gets defensive. That's why I rarely go out to eat, there's always something that will ruin a nice night out.

    Sorry you had a bad eat out, but it sounds as though the rest of the trip went well. Any burnings at the stake while you were there?

     
  • At 3:56 PM , Blogger Orelinde_03 said...

    First off, let me make a correction. The CORRECT link to the inn we stayed at is: http://www.saleminnma.com/

    Agreed, about eating out, most times it is a crap shoot. And that is why I eat home most of the time...aside from loving to cook. But when on vacation, think it is fun to try local places.

    And the decor of Strega is excellent. Just very eclectic and posh...fun, and not overly snobbish. And I agree, most Italian places do NOT cook their pasta from scratch. But up north, if they do advertise 'fresh pasta' that is what the place is advertising.

    And don't get me wrong...I have never actually MADE pasta from scratch, so I am not turning my nose up at boxed pasta.

    I love spicy food...mo' hotter...mo' better! Mexican foods (authentic Mexican)can be on the bland side, I agree. And I do enjoy Taco Bell...love their grilled burritos and the salad/rice bowl thing. We have had some eats from Olive Garden...they're not bad...but *shakes head* I do not consider them 'Italian'.

    Salem was a lot of fun. We had passes to the Pirate Museum (which rocked), The Witch Dungeon Museum (which had a re-enactment), The Witch Trial Museum, and one other 'witch' thing. We did some other sight-seeing on our own. When we go back, will relive the pirate museum, plus do stuff we didn't have the opportunity to this round.

    We also ate at a place called: A Taste of Thyme, and Victoria Station, and those two places were really good too. We spent one night in Boston, and ate at Giacomo's, which is on the North End, (little Italy) and had REAL Italian :-)

    Salem was awesome

     
  • At 12:19 PM , Blogger Piccu said...

    They had pirates in Salem? I thought Salem was pure witch country. Did you see any witches with an eye patch Did the witches begin their sentences with YAAARRRR!!!?

     
  • At 2:38 PM , Blogger Orelinde_03 said...

    There is one known pirate from Salem, and his name was Tim Tew. But there were a lot of pirates, maybe not successful pirates that were from New England.

    Nope, no one-eyed witches to be seen anywhere. :-(

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home