Sarcasm & Cynicism...served up by Single Grl

Life is full of stories and as they say the truth is stranger than fiction. Ask who knows me. I may speak softly, and I may look sweet. But under NO circumstances think for just one second that what you see is what you get. Because when you know me, know the real me you know that I'm anything but what you see. Most of the time. So read on my friends. And you will catch my gripping, views, sarcasm and dry of whit. Read on....I dare you.

Sunday, June 04, 2006

Birthday-palooza 2006



There is no two ways about it. Growing up and becoming an adult SUCKS. I'm not going to lie and I'm not going to sugar-coat it. It sucks. You have to work (full time) to make a living, and most of us have jobs that we don't even enjoy. Of course there are exceptions to the rule. Celebrities who thrive being who they are, and millionaires and billionaires who don't need to get out of bed to make bucu bucks. But let's face it. There are more of US than there are of THEM. So for most of us, growing up and becoming an adult sucks. Responsibilites just grow to be more and more, and we often worry about where will we wind up in life, if people REALLY like us, and if we will find that 'perfect' person. And so, from the time I was 15, until this year, I never really looked forward to my birthday.

Maybe I should explain: (15th birthday) went upstate to where my family has time sharing, and not only was no one in the condo, but when I tracked my mother day, she was DRUNK. Not tipsy, not feeling no pain. DRUNK, and she is a nasty drunk. (16th birthday) the shit hit the fan with my biological father, and it was just all around bad times within my family, (24th birthday) my Uncle Frank-who acted as my 'dad' passed away. So you can understand a bit why I hate my birthday rolling around. Each year, something happened, and I just couldn't believe how as we get older...bithdays suck.

Yesterday, I turned 30. Yep, I am finally admitting to the number. And 30 isn't a bad number. I kept telling all my family and friends that I was O-L-D. I did not want to acknowledge my birthday AT ALL. I did not want a cake, I did not want a party, I did NOT WANT TO CELEBRATE. I am comfortable in my skin (for the most part), and I pretty much know who I am. Of course I want to improve myself and evolve, because once we stop growing, we cease to learn. I will not lie about my age...becaue I do have to say, I do not look my ago. But I wouldn't volunter my age right off the bat either. Anyway, I have to say that turning 30 has been a TURN-AROUND birthday. Full of GREAT friends, laughs, great memories, and an awesome day. I am blessed to have the friends I work with, who did not listen to me. And my Aunt Ida is just a great person to have in my life on a daily basis.

And, so let me clue you all in on BIRTHDAY-PALOOZA 2006

Last weekend, Claire took me to have my cards read as my birthday gift. Then, on Friday (June 2nd) The girls at work: Claire, Debbie, Lisa, and Lenora surprised me with a delicious and beautiful birthday cake and most generous birthday gift. Then we finished off the evening at Meson Ole, having sangria, and tons of laughes. I was at dinner surprised with various gifts of: a rose quartz necklace and braclete, pink roses, and a Playgirl magazine.

Yesterday I had a day planned in NYC for shopping and dinner, just Aunt Ida and I. So we started off in The Village, where I buy my perfume, and I hung out with my sales guy Aubry for a bit. From there we walked down to Chocolate Haven- the new chocolate factory & store owned by Jacques Torres. If no one know who Jacques Torres is, I strongly suggest you watch his show(s) on www.Foodnetwork.com and without a doubt check out his web site http://www.mrchocolate.com/default.aspx Without a doubt, Jacques Torres is THE WILLY WONKA of the real world. Anyway, when we got to Chocolate Haven, was surprised to see Jacques in the cafe talking to some of the people. In my glory, and after I confirmed with Ida that my eyes did not decieve me, went and introduced myself to him, and told him it was my birthday. Not only was he pleasent, wishing me a happy b-day, but he even made the trip even sweeter (no pun intended) buy posing for a picture with me. (Ok, I am a geek!) After we wrapped up our stop there, Ida and I hoped a cab and headed to SoHo, where the cab driver informed us we couldn't hide it from him, we were BOTH party girls! Did some more shopping in SoHo, and then decided ti was time to eat dinner. Went back to the Village, attempted to find our resteraunt I had chosen for the birthday dinner. As we walked, a U.S. mail truck beeped and waved to me (wow!) then I asked 3 guys if we were headed in the correct direction. Had some laughs with them and moved on. As we continued to walk, and I started to doubt my sense of direction asked a cop (on a horse) if we were headed the right way. Not overly friendly he said yes and we walked on. About 2 minutes later, the cop GALLOPED down the block to us yelling...'you two behave yourselves. No too much drinking!" Uh, ok, that was bizaar yet funny.

We came across this Mexican place and I asked the matre d if we were close, and it turned out it was one storefront down. We ate at this place called Dragon Fly, which was so yummy, serving Chinese and Thai and Fillapino foods, and decided to stop at Jeckyll & Hyde's for a drink, as at the last minute decided not to go to the Brandy Library as we had planned to. On our way back to J&H, the matre d from the mexican place asked us how we enjoyed out dinner and we talked to him. He then asked me if anyone has told me I look like: Karen Lynn Gorney from Saturday Night Fever (which I have been told that in the not too distant past.) I laughed and he proceeded to tell me he thought at first that that was who I was when I spoke to him earlier. http://imdb.com/name/nm0331186/ Now, I'm not saying that I do look liker her, or that I think I'm all that and a bag of chips. But having him say it to me, was such an upper for my birthday. I asked Ida (when I showed her the picture of Karen Gorney, and she said I do look like her slightly. After we had a cocktail headed home, and conked out, because when you hit 30, 1am is WAY past your bedtime!

Today mum gets home from upstate, and we may or maynot go to dinner at Gatsby. Either way it is fine with me, no matter what we do. I do want to go get a 3rd hole in my ears, as I can't act my age just yet. Today wraps up the end of Birthday-palooza 2006. For a birthday I did not want to acknowledge, it has turned out to be AMAZING. I love my friends who did not listen to me and made me celebrate my birthday. I had an AWESOME day yesterday. And even though only one cousin called yesterday to wish me a happy birthday, and Michelle...I do not care. I have friends both on the net, and in my daily life...and I have recieved b-day wishes from everyone of these people, and they know who they are, (Piccu) is given a *smiling* shout-out. So you know what I learned? Birthdays and growing older does not necessarily suck. And I do not mind where I am in the world...because when you have love, and feel love that's the best gift you can ever have.

3 Comments:

  • At 11:38 AM , Blogger Piccu said...

    I am glad you had a great birthday. Your day out almost makes New York sound cool.

    I hope you are able to recover from your excessive celebration and you are able to build on this for your next birthday.

     
  • At 11:40 AM , Blogger Piccu said...

    I am glad you had a great birthday. Your day out almost makes New York sound cool.

    I hope you are able to recover from your excessive celebration and you are able to build on this for your next birthday.

     
  • At 11:46 AM , Blogger Orelinde_03 said...

    Oh, I am sure I'll be able to top the birthday come next year. Somehow I always come up with fun ideas. And NYC is cool. Ya just have to give us a try. :-)

    I now have a sinus infection, so guess that is what mother nature gave me as a b-day gift. Woo-hoo...NOT!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home