Sarcasm & Cynicism...served up by Single Grl

Life is full of stories and as they say the truth is stranger than fiction. Ask who knows me. I may speak softly, and I may look sweet. But under NO circumstances think for just one second that what you see is what you get. Because when you know me, know the real me you know that I'm anything but what you see. Most of the time. So read on my friends. And you will catch my gripping, views, sarcasm and dry of whit. Read on....I dare you.

Monday, July 31, 2006

Movie Madness

It appears that the film industry has been giving us a lot of choices this summer, films that would appeal to all movie goers. I’ve seen quiet a few of the ones that have all but been drilled into our subconscious to go see: X-Men III, Superman Returns, and Pirates of The Caribbean. (Somehow I feel like I am missing one or two of what I had seen.) Anyway I have been anxiously been waiting the release of Miami Vice, and on Friday night went and saw it. Last night mum, Ida and I went and saw Lady in the Water. These are my critiques of both films.

Miami Vice: Michael Mann did an AWESOME job of taking a well loved TV series, and making it into its own. There was no pastel colors, and no funky electronica music, and no crocodile named Elvis. It was dark, and edgy. Colin Farrell’s Sonny Crocket was equal parts hard core cop, and tortured soul when it came to certain parts of the movie. Jamie Foxx was a bit too gangsta for my taste, not at all like Rico Tubbs from the series at all. But he did a very good job as well. The plot at times did get a bit complex, and they never really established who the TRUE bad guy was. But I enjoyed it…A LOT. And for it to have made more money opening weekend than POTC: DMC, that says something. M.V. brought in $25.2M and POTC brought in $20.5M on their opening weekends. I can totally see this Miami Vice becoming the twenty-first centuries Lethal Weapon….stay toned for a sequal.

Lady In The Water: When I had originally seen the coming attraction for this movie, was very skeptical. M. Night Shyamalan has made some mind-twisting and thrill tingling movies, and I have seen them all. My least favorite of his was Unbreakable…and when I had seen The Village in the theater, was totally expecting a horror flick, so was disappointed. However watching it a second time, knowing what it was, I did enjoy The Village. So when they released the extended commercials and trailer for LITW, was very intrigued. Last night, in an attempt for us to get cool, in the newest heat wave we’re experiencing…went and saw LITW.

It was everything you could hope for in a movie and more. There was comedy, sadness, suspense and happiness. The characters were ones you felt like you knew, or were people you would WANT to know. You worried about what was going to happen to them, what would happen to Story, the Narf (Sea Nymph.) Paul Giamatti gave an outstanding performance of Cleveland, the maintenance man of the apartment complex where this film takes place. He is a shy, timid man who has his own demons to fight, yet he always gives his all to the people in the complex and to Story. He goes from a stuttering, frustrated person, to a clear, and calm man and back again. M. Night Shyamalan had a very large part in this movie, for a change and I think his acting was rather good. His character does have a very weighty matter (I REFUSE to give away any secrets) but he is not the most important character. This is a fantastic movie for people of all ages, and I look forward to owning it on dvd once it is released.

2 Comments:

  • At 3:31 PM , Blogger Piccu said...

    You are the second person I have seen who liked Lady in the Water. I have heard nothing but bashing reviews. I love Shyamalan's movies. Unbreakable is my second favorite, by the way. I love super hero movies and that was a super hero movie.

    Anyway, I think people have just expected to be shocked like they were with The Sixth Sense and when a movie of his does not deliver that, they trash it. I never thought The Village was a "horror" movie or a movie like The Sixth Sense, so when I saw it, I appreciated it for what it was. I hope to see this movie, but I wll probably wait for the DVD.

    I am hoping to check out both Miami Vice and Ricky Bobby this weekend, so I have nothing to say about Miami Vice except that I believe it will be awesome.

     
  • At 3:50 PM , Blogger Orelinde_03 said...

    The Sixth Sense shocked the pants off me. Never in a million years did I expect it to end the way it had.

    I figured you would have enjoyed Unbreakable. It was well written, and the way he had used primary colors like in comics was great. Just for me, it was a little lack luster as (for me) it had seemed to lag in places. I've only seen itonce, but perhaps should watch it again to see if it has a different effect on me now.

    Up here, they had marketed The Village as a supernatural, horror flick. (More or less that the monster's were real). So there went Ida and me like 'ooohhh we're going to see a spooky movie' and next thing ya know the blind chick is running for her life through the woods to escape Adrian Brody and is actually living in a preserve. So to think you're seeing one thing, and it turns out to be totally not that...yeah mad disappointed until I gave it another shot.

    I had heard that Lady In The Water was not getting such good reviews, but never go by what the critics say. So it was a toss up between Monster House or LITW (last night) and we went with this. I think you'll like it when you do see it. There is one character in the flick, who plays a movie critic and is very sarcastic and dry, like us.

    Miami isn't getting that many good reviews but is bringing in massive $$$. I think you'll like it. I too want to see Ricky Bobby.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home