Sarcasm & Cynicism...served up by Single Grl

Life is full of stories and as they say the truth is stranger than fiction. Ask who knows me. I may speak softly, and I may look sweet. But under NO circumstances think for just one second that what you see is what you get. Because when you know me, know the real me you know that I'm anything but what you see. Most of the time. So read on my friends. And you will catch my gripping, views, sarcasm and dry of whit. Read on....I dare you.

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Rest In Peace Benoit Family

It is with a heavy heart that I enter my post today. Needless to say, I will not inject any sarcastic comments. The fans of professional wrestling, aka as the WWE (World Wrestling Entertainment) were shocked and grief stricken when word of Chris Benoit, his wife Nancy, and their seven year old son's death was announced.

Between yesterday and today updates of what transpired are flooding the internet, and news stations. It appears that Chris Benoit murdered his wife and son, then took his own life. I am not going to add a bunch of links to the articles, because that's not my entry is about. You see, I knew Chris Benoit once upon a time (and I am sure I had met his wife as well.) My family, and friends and myself are shocked and sickened that this has happened. I am heartbroken over it because three lives were taken. One of them, an innocent child. But I stand firm in my belief that they were ALL victims.

I know a lot of professional wrestlers, and years ago had been very friendly with them. In fact, to this day, I still keep in touch with (2) two guys who used to work for the (then) WWF...now known as WWE. Ida and I used to travle to many a wrestling match, and have stories that would curl your hair. We still have many a laugh over old memories of who did what, in such a such town. There were many good times, and many happy memories. Unfortunatly the wrestling profession is a cruel one. It takes ALOT to make a name for yourself, and if by chance you do become an employee of the WWE, a massive amount of travling must take place. You can be on the road 300 days out of the year (as my one friend had been.) Family life becomes strained, and due to travel, and the 'work hours you keep' more than likely your unwind time will be at the hotel, or hotel bar. Injuries do occure even though the matches are 'written'. Drugs, pain killers, booze are all a part of your life. I'm not saying that ALL wrestlers who are professionals live such a dark life. But it is very easy to get sucked in to it. The easiest way to sum it up is, A WRESTLERS LIFE IS NOT AS GLAMOROUS AS IT SEEMS. My family and I actually know more wrestlers who have passed away due to drugs than we now know who are yet alive.

Yes, I had known Chris Benoit (as did some of my family.) Not as well as I knew several other wrestlers. But each time I was in his company, he was always pleasent, a wry smile on his face. He was shy and reserved but well liked and respected. Chris wasn't the one to tell a joke, but he sure appreciated one. He never was unkind, nor did he seem unhinged. Nancy (who went by the name 'Woman') alwso was well liked, and a very smart business woman. I don't recall meeting her, but I may have.

And they're gone. In a blink of an eye, Chris ended it all. Many people are up in arms, wrestling fans who never liked him. Wrestling fans who have now turned against him. People who don't like wrestling at all. Some people are quick to blame steroids, but the toxicolgy report has yet to come back. Some people are quick to judge him. But how can we? Do we REALLY know what happened? The answer is no. I ma not taking Chris's side in this. But perhaps he snapped (obviously he had.) Maybe he had mental problems. All I am saying is, try to remember the good of this man. And don't be so quick to blame him. Because Nancy and his son were not the only victims. Chris, somehow was too. I believe that. And I hope with all my heart that their friends and loved ones find peace one day.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • At 5:33 PM , Blogger Piccu said...

    I used to be ate up with wrestling. I taped all the Monday night shows and watched all the pay per views. I have stacks upon stacks of wrestling tapes. I haven't however paid much attention to it in a year or so. Last night I just happened to turn on ESPN Radio and left the room and when I came back, the host was talking about Benoit. I am not sure I had ever heard wrestling mentioned on ESPN Radio, unless it was in a derogatory fashion. My XM radio has a DVR like ability and I rewound to hear what he said. And then he said that Benoit and his family were found dead.

    I was shocked, as I always am when a young wrestler dies. By this time you wouldn't think any of us would be, but I was more shocked because his wife and child were also dead. I then turned on USA and saw about an hour and a half of the tribute to Benoit. I read a report that the authroites were treating this as a homicide, but I couldn't help wonder if it wasn't a murder suicide. I later found out that was the case.

    Benoit is easliy one of my top 5 favorite performers. He was technical and tough and could make the most worthless bum look good in the ring. I was sad to find out he was gone and even sadder about the circumstances. And after I found out the circumstances I was sure the WWE would get killed for celebrating a murderer, but I am sure most did not know the details and they lost their friends. So I hope the media cuts them a break.

    Authorites have already said they have found steroids in the house but they were prescription, which means a doctor is probably going to be in trouble.

    I see something like this or Eddy Guerrero or Brian Pillman and any one else you can name and I understand why The Rock gets out, why Chris Jericho gets out. It seems that "lifers" in this business don't end up having a great life.

    It almost makes me appreciate the entertainment more because a lot of men and women give their lives for this. Though while I am appreciative, I also know that the wrestling business is not worth dying for.

     
  • At 9:50 AM , Blogger Orelinde_03 said...

    Piccu,

    You have NO idea how greatful I am for your understanding and your diplomacy in this matter. One of the writers for Fox wrote a very decent article: http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/6964262?MSNHPHMA

    Last night I had googled 'dead professional wrestlers' to see if I could find some kind of list. Out of the list I had found of wrestlers who passed away before the age of 65, there were fourteen men that I knew personally.

    I am sick over the fact that Nancy and Daniel are gone, and that their lives were snuffed out by Chris's hand. And I won't forget that he did it. But he must have had many demons to have resorted to this. I think in the end he was very remorseful and sorry that he murdered his wife and child.

    If I ever have a child, I will NOT allow them to watch wrestling, I don't want to introduce them to the sport, or the excitment of that world. Do I regret my past expierences, and watching when I did? No. But that was my past, and honestly, I wouldn't want to relive it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to introduce it to my child. And under no circumstances would I want my child WANT to become a wrestler.

    The wrestling world had been rideculed for so long for being a 'fake' sport. But there is nothing fake about the (personal) drama that takes place behind the scenes.

    So thank you Piccu for giving Chris the positive recognition he deserves. And for appreciating what these men and women go through.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home