Sarcasm & Cynicism...served up by Single Grl

Life is full of stories and as they say the truth is stranger than fiction. Ask who knows me. I may speak softly, and I may look sweet. But under NO circumstances think for just one second that what you see is what you get. Because when you know me, know the real me you know that I'm anything but what you see. Most of the time. So read on my friends. And you will catch my gripping, views, sarcasm and dry of whit. Read on....I dare you.

Monday, June 11, 2007

Dance Recital aka Nipple-Gate 2007

So I did it! I made it through a year of dance class, followed by the dance recital without killing myself. Or freaking out on stage and not being able to dance. Of course there can not be an entry in my blog without some kind of drama, and I had drama on two different levels. (A) My cousin Maureen backed out of attending my dance recital due to another family function that she opted to go to. We got over it though. The second drama-infused part of dance recital was way more interesting…. And way more embarrassing and risqué.

Saturday afternoon went off without a hitch. Well, kind of anyway. Hip-hop was the first dance, and I have to say for missing two dancers, it went rather
well. My friend Dawn, and this other girl, L.J. were both no-shows. So it was disappointing not to have them on stage with us, but it wasn’t a drastic change in the grouping or how we danced. Even though we had danced twice on stage, it was a bit daunting as this was THE BIG event. But once the music started pumping we nailed it. It helped drastically to have Carin in the wings reminding us to dance ‘sexily and sassily.’

Sunday’s performance for hip hop was no different, except Dawn was begging me to talk to her on stage. So there we were dancing and talking. This is hard, because you’re supposed to smile. So, I was like talking thru clenched teeth. But again, we ROCKEDto . Plain and simple.

Saturday’s session for tap was a little dramatic. Because it seems I got misplaced, trying to get part of my hip hop costume off. And my tap class was ushered back stage awaiting our song. So Carin (my hip hop instructor went on a mad dash to locate me and did) and we raced
to the backstage to meet up with my class. I also wound up dancing with the choker on my neck from hip-hop, but that was no big deal. And there we went, tapping our hearts out. The song was SO fast, but we were amazing.

Sunday’s show was the one were risqué-ness took place. I was stoked, because my cousin Dolores was in the audience, and she was so excited to be there. I had forgotten that she used to come to my dance shows when I was younger. And there we went, tapping away on stage
, like Happy Feet, and THEN I FELT IT. My left boob popped out of my costume, thru the keyhole…which is really just a low scoop, with draped material in the front. And I didn’t know what to do. Because as a performer, you know the show must go on. So do I dance with my boob out, or fix it. Well, I opted to fix it, but my costume was very uncomfortable as my boob was whipping around. So I tucked it back in, trying to be indiscreet...and knowing that people must see me fidgeting with my costume. Because of my distraction, I missed a key point, at the end of the dance, as I was center stage (and SO PISSED) and also didn’t dance to the full height of my capabilities.

Everyone said it wasn’t noticeable, my cousin Dee, mom and Ida aid it was ok. But then when we were leaving the venue, and I saw my tap teacher Cristin…she said someone told her they saw me fall out of it…TWICE. So I guess it WAS noticeable. And I guess
everyone got a show within a show. But I had a great time, and can’t wait for the recital next year. Only next recital I will all but be superglued in to my costume.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

  • At 9:20 PM , Blogger Tami said...

    Oh my God, I think I would die. I definitely would have opted to fix it onstage (as discreetly as possible), but after the end of the recital would have been out of that place in a flash (no pun intended.)

    Hmm... I have been thinking about going back to dance classes lately. I don't know if I could handle it anymore. Haven't been since junior high, and I am so out of shape. But every so often the idea hits me again (it is fun, after all).

     
  • At 8:49 AM , Blogger Piccu said...

    Yikes! The show must go on? I think if a similar thing had happened to me I would have immediatly stopped the show for adjustment time. You know, called a time out or something.

     
  • At 8:50 AM , Blogger Orelinde_03 said...

    Tami, I strongly reccomend going back to dance. I had started my dance classes at 2 1/2 years old and went until I was 16 years old (with tap and jazz.)

    I missed it though, and this past September decided to sign up at my old dance school for one adult class (which was tap.) That lasted one week, because I then added hip-hop too, and which was much harder than I thought it would be.

    It feels so good to be doing this (as it is so fun) that I have signed up for summer classes (which run for a month) in tap, hip-hop and will try ballet.

    Thanks for your total understanding of my mortification at the dance recital. If I had known for sure that people DID see my boob out sooner than I had heard (from my teacher) I would have been out of there in a flash. :-)

    Seriousley, you should try to go back to dance....it is F-U-N.

     
  • At 8:58 AM , Blogger Orelinde_03 said...

    Piccu, if I could have stopped the show I would have. LOL.

    I knew people had to have seen me fidgiting and holding on to my costume, but didn't know for sure just HOW MUCH extra they had seen.

    After I had gotten back in to my street clothes, and spoke with Dee and Ida they had said they didn't actually see skin, I felt better. But then my teacher told me (when I was leaving) that someone saw it twice, so great. I gave an x-rated tap dance. LOL.

     
  • At 4:54 PM , Blogger Piccu said...

    Who hasn't had an x-rated tap dance?

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home