Sarcasm & Cynicism...served up by Single Grl

Life is full of stories and as they say the truth is stranger than fiction. Ask who knows me. I may speak softly, and I may look sweet. But under NO circumstances think for just one second that what you see is what you get. Because when you know me, know the real me you know that I'm anything but what you see. Most of the time. So read on my friends. And you will catch my gripping, views, sarcasm and dry of whit. Read on....I dare you.

Friday, June 22, 2007

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

I love to read, and have loved it all my life. I don't have a specific genre that I will only read or that is even my favorite. Basically, if it's something that sparks my interest I AM LOST in my book. The only books I really don't enjoy reading is non-fiction, unless it is something that I am researching, or is of interest to me. My reason for the dislike of reading non-fiction is that when I read, I want to be entertained or immersed in something that I wouldn't come across in MY 'real life.' Does that make sense? I do enjoy reading autobiographies or biographies, but again it has to be on someone who interests me.
When I was a kid, I overheard about a book, a work of fiction by Oscar Wilde. It was about a man who wanted to stay young, and whose picture aged instead. This fascinated me. Imagine never growing old! I HAD to read this book. But alas, our wonderful library *note deep sarcasam* did not have this so-called book of which I spoke of, nor would they order such a book for me. You would think I was asking for a book on how to raise the dead with the way the reacted. Years went by, and I had forgotten all about 'The Picture of Dorian Gray'.

Then a few years back upon talking with someone, the Oscar Wilde story came up in conversation and my quest to read or own this book was refreshed. Once again I went to my library, which over the years had grown in size, but obviousley not their narrow-mindedness. They still did not have the book, nor would they order it for me. I finally found it in Borders, and purchased it, adding it to my stack of books to read. Some months back, I guess almost a year ago I started reading it, and couldn't get through chapter one! You could only imagine my horror and disappointment. The verbage was very wordy, dry, and well. DULL! There was no supernatural element to it at all (at least not in the section I had read.) I found the two characters who kick off the book (Basil and Henry) arrogant, and pretentious, which I guess Oscar Wilde was aiming for. Much to my chagrin, I put the book away, unable to read it, and have yet to pick it up again.

Then I had saw that on TCM they would be airing the original film version of the book:

and I was so psyched. Now I'd get the opportunity to see what it was I was trying to read. Perhaps THEN I would get what it was Oscar Wilde was trying to get across. Last night Ida and I hunkered down to watch the 2-hour movie and were all but bored to tears. I found the character of Henry just repulsive and obnoxious, and found nothing redemptive of Dorian. For a movie which was made in 1945, it was done rather well. However, it was not a movie I was going to keep on my dvr box for eternity.

Does anyone else have comments to add on this Oscar Wilde story? Are all his works the same?

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

  • At 10:36 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 9:53 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    I am almost the complete opposite of you. I enjoy non fiction more than fiction. I want to read about crazy stuff that happened to real people, not something that is just made up. Although, there are exceptions, but I am a history guy.

    As for the movie Dorian Gray, if I remember correctly, it wasn't my favorite and the characters were a-holes, but I think that was what they were supposed to be. I have watched so many movies since that one that were better that I only remember the ending was kind of cool, but otherwise it was just an okay movie.

     
  • At 2:23 PM , Blogger Orelinde_03 said...

    :-) And that's what makes the world go 'round. :-)You like reading non-fiction....I like fiction.

    I am sure there are people out there who LOVED The Picture Of Dorian Gray. But it isn't us.

    What period in history is your favorite?

     
  • At 5:16 PM , Blogger Piccu said...

    I like just about anything, but I am always interested in the old west.

     
  • At 11:13 AM , Blogger Orelinde_03 said...

    Oh duh!

    I should have known that Bombay was you. :-p :-)

     
  • At 2:54 PM , Blogger Tami said...

    Funny - I heard about it when I was a kid and was also intrigued! I bought the book and read it a few months ago, but I really liked it. Well, except for one of the chapters, which was rather tedious and I think Wilde was trying to beef up the story for novel form (it was originally published as a series in the newspaper, and was so controversial that Wilde censored the novel form). I haven't seen the movie though. And I tend to go for that dry wit.

    But yes, the main characters are all scum. Dorian starts out as a good guy but ends up completely twisted and sick by the end.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home