Sarcasm & Cynicism...served up by Single Grl

Life is full of stories and as they say the truth is stranger than fiction. Ask who knows me. I may speak softly, and I may look sweet. But under NO circumstances think for just one second that what you see is what you get. Because when you know me, know the real me you know that I'm anything but what you see. Most of the time. So read on my friends. And you will catch my gripping, views, sarcasm and dry of whit. Read on....I dare you.

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

The creative juices are flowing!

I have been meaning to start writing for a long time. In fact, I think it was about a year ago that I had mentioned that I was starting to write a story. But of course, I started and then stopped. Because I tried to follow the lessons I had been told when I had taken a creative writing course. Like you know: for a plot outline, detail each of your characters, write down key facts prior to jumping in to the story. And I did develop my characters, to some degree, in fact I had even picked out actors whose looks I was basing my characters on, so I could have a visual as I wrote. But I didn’t get too far because (A) I was reading a novel, and (B) I found it very difficult to follow these guidelines AND be creative.

When I was a little girl, most nights I would get a bedtime story. If it was told by my Uncle Frank, it was usually about his childhood, or when he was enlisted in the army. I loved hearing about his life. Other times we would just talk, or he would sing me to sleep. But one of my coolest memories was when my mom would tell me bedtime stories. Because she was very creative, and came up with a character called Princess Rosie Sunshine. Of course Princess Rosie Sunshine was based on me, and all my shenanigans. She also incorporated my pet cat Socks in to the story. Sometimes when I was eating lunch in school, I would even find pictures drawn on the inside of my lunch bag, of Princess Rosie Sunshine. Yep, mom knew how to make me smile.

So last night, at dinner mom, Ida and I were talking and she and Ida were reminiscing about when they lived in Brooklyn (NY), and some of their friends. Well, they told me this one scenario, and it hit me. What a great title for a story! But what made it even better was if I were to incorporate the character of my old pet cat, Socks, which my mother had created in to the title and story. I mentioned this to mom and Ida and they both agreed enthusiastically that it was a great title, and idea I came up with.

Last night when I got home, I didn’t whip out a scratch pad to start jotting down ideas or plots. I just turned on the computer and began to type out the story. I am already in to the tale two and a half pages. Which granted isn’t much at all, but it is sure is something. So we’ll see how it goes. I read mom what I had written thus far, and she really enjoyed it, she even said how real it seemed. I am pondering if I should blog the story or just keep it, and then shop it around once it’s completed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home