Sarcasm & Cynicism...served up by Single Grl

Life is full of stories and as they say the truth is stranger than fiction. Ask who knows me. I may speak softly, and I may look sweet. But under NO circumstances think for just one second that what you see is what you get. Because when you know me, know the real me you know that I'm anything but what you see. Most of the time. So read on my friends. And you will catch my gripping, views, sarcasm and dry of whit. Read on....I dare you.

Thursday, October 26, 2006

Books are our friends!

So it seems that books are the topic of conversation as of late. I have stacks of books in my spare room that I have to read. I palmed off ‘The Devil In The White City’ to a friend’s boyfriend because (a) I thought he’d enjoy it, (b) I just could not get in to it at all. This is the first time in my life that I have quit a book, and now feel like a failure. Anyway, once again this meme is thanks to my pal Claire, http://somethingsarcastic.blogspot.com/

1) One book that changed your life: Bono: In Conversation with Michka Assayas http://www.amazon.com/Bono-In-Conversation-Michka-Assayas/dp/1573223093 I wouldn’t say that it has drastically changed my life. I just found it very interesting…and it has opened me up a lot more to the needs of those less fortunate than me. Also To Kill A Mockingbird, by Harper Lee. That is my all time favorite book, and has stayed with me since I have read it.

2) One book that you’d read more than once: Honest Illusions and Public Secrets, both by Nora Roberts. You HAVE to read her stuff…she’s just amazing! http://www.noraroberts.com/

3) One book you’d want on a deserted island: I am sure there is something that I’d love to read, or should be reading to save my sorry ass if I had been stranded on a desert island. But for the life of me, I can’t think of anything. I guess some kind of survival book would be most helpful, huh?

4) One book that made you laugh: The Undead series by Mary Janice Davidson. http://www.maryjanicedavidson.net/Betsy.htm There is banter between Sinclair and the main character Betsy, that you can’t help but crack a grin, let alone laugh out loud. Thanks to my pal Michelle for getting me hooked on this series.

5) One book that made you cry: I Love You, Ronnie-The Letters of Ronald Reagan to Nancy Reagan by Nancy Reagan. http://www.randomhouse.com/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=9780375416880 (Like his politics or not, for one man to love one woman this much gives me hope. I can only wish to find someone who cherishes me as Ronald did Nancy.)

6) One book you wish you’d written: The Harry Potter series. Look at the dough they’ve raked in, and they are entertaining.

7) One book you wish had never been written: THE DANTE CLUB, by Matthew Pearl. http://www.matthewpearl.com/dante/dante.html In theory, it sounds fascinating…I was so excited to read this book. And then I read it, and struggled through it. To me, the interest peaked and valleyed. When the author was ‘on a role’, it was a page turner and when it lagged it was tedious reading. But I wanted to know how it ended…and will never read another of this man’s books again.

8) One book you’re currently reading: The Bell Witch: An American Haunting, by Brent Monahan (Editor), http://www.amazon.com/Bell-Witch-American-Haunting/dp/0312262922 The movie An American Haunting is based on this book, and tales of something that had happened to the Bell family. I’ve just started reading the book, but I think this is one subject I would like to follow up on. This book is already creeping me out a bit.

9) One book you’ve been meaning to read: The Picture of Dorian Gray, and also The Chronicles of Narnia.

10) Tag five people: I dunno who to tag. Claire’s tagged me. Perhaps I shall tag Piccu and his crew. :-)

2 Comments:

  • At 11:06 PM , Blogger BRATCH said...

    The Bell Witch is a favorite tale of ours down here. There have been different variations move down through the years connecting it to a nearby university and stuff like that. It's cool.

    And it's probably the only haunting that involved a president.

    Actually, you can go tour "The Bell Witch" cave in Tennesse during the certain times of the year when it isn't filled with water. But witch or not, I'm a little skeptical about going to into caves and caves that fill with water.

     
  • At 9:22 AM , Blogger Orelinde_03 said...

    I have a thing about caves too. I don't think I'm clustophobic. But not being able to see clearly where I'm going, and the possibility of dangerous insects being in there...not my cup o tea.

    One day I will make it down to Tennessee and check this haunted place out. We've got some allegedly haunted places up by me...but I've never been to them yet.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home