Sarcasm & Cynicism...served up by Single Grl

Life is full of stories and as they say the truth is stranger than fiction. Ask who knows me. I may speak softly, and I may look sweet. But under NO circumstances think for just one second that what you see is what you get. Because when you know me, know the real me you know that I'm anything but what you see. Most of the time. So read on my friends. And you will catch my gripping, views, sarcasm and dry of whit. Read on....I dare you.

Thursday, October 19, 2006

The purchasing of a puppy:

So a miracle has happened. My mother has decided to go along with mine and Ida’s dream of adding to the house and getting another pet. For some time Ida has hinted about wanting a puppy, but any time I got a bit excited about it she would change her mind and say she didn’t have the patience to train a puppy. But being home all day and hearing about home invasions and about sexual deviants being released into society she and I get a bit more nervous. Once upon a time, we never had to keep our screen door locked if the inside door was locked. NOT NO MORE.
When we last brought up getting a dog, mom had nixed the idea. However she too is hearing more and more about the problems of break-ins and attacks, she is getting nervous. So when she returned from her last vacation, and Ida and I presented the idea of getting a dog, she actually hopped on board. And not that she just ‘yessed’ us, she is actually all for getting a dog.
What kind of dog will be joining the troop? Will we get a male or a female? Where and when will we be getting it? All my life I have wanted a Boxer, mom and Ida had grown up with Boxer’s and they are my favorite breed. However Labradoodle’s, a new designer dog is the hoopla of the times, being hypo-allergenic and not shedding. Whenever I bring up getting a: Pug, Rottwilier, American Malamute get the big ‘n-o’ for one reason or another. Which brings us back to either a Boxer or a Labradoodle. Which is fine by me, because I do like both of these dogs.
Naming of the unobtained pet is another issue. For some reason, I have always been in the habit of naming the pet before actually getting the pet. Don’t ask me why…it’s just how I am. The last dog I had was named after Jon Bon Jovi’s dog, and both Pooka and Cro`i have Celtic names, because of my love for the Irish. So what to name the new dog? Here is a list of names I have come up with. Ida is on board with some of these, mom not so much.
· Isis Egyptian Meaning: Supreme Goddess
· Sitara Sanskrit Meaning: Morning Star
· Derry Celtic Meaning: Great lover, an ancient hero
· Orion a constellation often referred to as The Hunter, is a prominent constellation, perhaps the best-known and most conspicuous in the sky. Its brilliant stars are found on the celestial equator and are visible throughout the world, making this constellation universally recognized. In the northern hemisphere, Orion is visible from late fall through early spring.
· Morpheus Greek Menaing God of Dreams
· Merlin
· Trinity Latin "Trinity" comes from "Trinitas", a abstract noun that most literally means "three-ness" (or "the property of occurring three at once"). Or, simply put, "three are one".
· Logan Scottish Meaning: Little Hollow
· Ashbel Male Biblical An old fire.
· BAILINTIN: valiant
· EAMON, EAMONN: guardian
· AINGEAL: angel
· DIVA, DEVA, DEVONA, DIVONE, DEHEUNE: divine one
· ETAIN: a fairy
· Eros Eros, the primal god of Love; using arrows of gold and lead, he would wound the hearts of mortals and Immortals alike.(Eros, Cupid)
· Conry – king of wolves/hounds
· Lorcan – fierce
· Nolan Famous, a champion. Origin: Irish Gaelic
· Farrell The valorous one.
· Tor The God of thunder in Norse mythology. Celtic: A rock.
Then comes the topic of buying a puppy or rescuing a puppy. Now like I said, Ida and mum grew up having Boxers, pure-breed Boxers. However they always acquired them, and the family had never paid for a pet. I have never paid for any of my pets, except for the donation fees to the shelter or pound that I’ve gotten mine from. But this time is different. This time I want a pure breed. And it pisses mom off because she doesn’t feel like we should be buying a pet. Then again she isn’t dipping in to her pocket for the animal either.
Trying to find my perfect pooch has been an experience. I have gone to pet shops, and fell in love with a Boxer pup. Until I was told she cost $2,500. I contacted breeders and told they will see for $2,000. I found some Boxers through a search for like $750.-995.00 but then you have to pay for shipping which still brings the dog to over $1000.00 I tried searching shelters and rescue groups. I have filled out adoption papers for Boxer rescue groups which ask questions such as: What will you do with the pet? (Uh wear it as a hat?) Where will the dog sleep and for how many hours will you leave it unattended. Some of the questions ARE understandable…but some of them were just obnoxious. ‘Do you understand that although the dog will be yours, we can remove it from your custody any time we feel fit?” Uh, if the dog is mine, how can you jack it from me? It feels like adopting a child is easier than getting a dog.
So operation puppy is in effect. Granted we’ve decided to wait until after the holidays…but I just felt the need to share with you all that I’m getting a pup!

4 Comments:

  • At 9:36 PM , Blogger claire said...

    Some breeders (uh, the actual responsible ones) really do care about the welfare of their puppies. If they don't ask you any of those questions, you leave. Quickly.
    It's such a fucked up business, and sadly, i'm with your mother on this one. There's GOT to be a poor unwanted boxer puppy out there that will be thrilled to have you as his mommy. I'll keep helping you look for rescuers. :)

     
  • At 8:56 AM , Blogger Orelinde_03 said...

    Thank you for your help. I know you care about animals as much as me. (Granted we are not as cat/animal crazy as someone who is related to me *smiles*)

    I know I have time, but what better way to fill the work hours, than to try and find a puppy?

    I am not all for shelling out buku bucks for a dog, but do have my hear set on one of these.

     
  • At 9:26 AM , Blogger Piccu said...

    I have no idea what you do in this situation. Our family has always gotten pets for free, dobermans, pit bulls, and labs. I have family that have paid for pets but those pets were mostly for hunting, not straight up pets.

    I suggest you just check the classifieds, I agree with Claire, surely in a large area like you are in there has to be some free puppies. You may not be able to get the boxer you are looking for, but I'm sure you can find a nice pet.

     
  • At 9:51 AM , Blogger Orelinde_03 said...

    I know deep down that no matter what kind of dog we get...I will love it. And true, a pure breed is no better than a mutt.

    It's funny how all these designer dogs are becoming the rage: Labradoodle's, Puggles, Shitz-poo's. Where does it stop?

    I find it sick that people have no problem charging such large amounts for animals. (Although here I am, looking into a breeder as of late.) I have always gotten my pets from in front of stores, from people's pets litter, or from shelters and pounds. It's those animals who need love and give love too. Like I said, I'm sure this will work out.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home