Sarcasm & Cynicism...served up by Single Grl

Life is full of stories and as they say the truth is stranger than fiction. Ask who knows me. I may speak softly, and I may look sweet. But under NO circumstances think for just one second that what you see is what you get. Because when you know me, know the real me you know that I'm anything but what you see. Most of the time. So read on my friends. And you will catch my gripping, views, sarcasm and dry of whit. Read on....I dare you.

Monday, September 18, 2006

James Ellroy's 'The Black Dahlia'


Tagline: Inspired by the most notorious unsolved murder in California history.

Plot Outline: An adaptation of James Ellroy's novel about two 1940s L.A. cops who head up the hunt for the killer of starlet Elizabeth Short.

Plot Summary for The Black Dahlia (2006)
Based on a true unsolved murder. In the 1940s, young and beautiful Elizabeth Short came to Hollywood, intending to become a famous actress. However, it would not be her career but her her brutal murder in 1947 that would bring her fame, as "The Black Dahlia". The investigation of her death became an obsession to millions and revealed a vast conspiracy throughout the police department.
And with that being said, me and the family went, with high expectations to go see the movie based on the horrific murder of Elizabeth Short. Up until the hoopla for this movie started, I had no idea who this woman was….but had seen the trailer for this movie months ago. Then a few weeks back, there had been a segment on 48 Hours about how a man believes his (sicko) father had been the man who murdered Elizabeth Short. It was all very interesting.

But the movie was not as interesting or as riveting as I had expected, or as any of us anticipated it to be. The whole Elizabeth Short murder played second fiddle to the two main characters Of Josh Hartnett and Aaron Eckart. The movie focused more on the corruption of the LAPD back then, and the politics…than of the murder. It focused on the relationship between the police partners and a woman. There were more plot twists, and angles than substance and excitement.

My friend Claire’s boyfriend had read the book and enjoyed it, so perhaps the novel is the better way to go. I will give it a shot when I have time. But the movie version of ‘The Black Dahlia’ was more than disappointing in my opinion. I sure hope ‘Hollywoodland’ is much better.

3 Comments:

  • At 10:41 AM , Blogger BRATCH said...

    Looks like Piccu and I dodged a bullet with this one. We wanted to go see it but were scared away.

     
  • At 10:47 AM , Blogger Piccu said...

    I have heard more good reviews for Hollywoodland than for this. I was super excited to see it, but as I have often said, if a movie doesn't have great CGI or comedy to make a bad movie good, then you have to listen to the reviews. Serious or "adult" type movies can be better gauged by critics' reviews than Talladega Nights can be. And The Black Dahlia did not have great reviews. It's sad to see a director like DePalma, who gave us Scarface and The Untouchables, not be able to deliver another great movie.

    Hollywoodland hasn't even come to our big movie theater. I wonder if it ever will.

     
  • At 10:55 AM , Blogger Orelinde_03 said...

    Bratch: I had wanted to see both movies, and the movie house we went to didn't have 'Hollywoodland' which we thought was no big deal. HA! Surprise! Because the three of us did not care for 'The Black Dahlia'.

    I do have to say last night before I fell asleep was thinking of this movie for some odd reason (we saw it on Saturday night). And it kind of was nagging at me.

    Piccu: A friend of mine saw 'Hollywoodland' and gave me mixed reviews on that one. But I still will go to see it. If I see it before you and the boyz do....will share my thoughts.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home