Sarcasm & Cynicism...served up by Single Grl

Life is full of stories and as they say the truth is stranger than fiction. Ask who knows me. I may speak softly, and I may look sweet. But under NO circumstances think for just one second that what you see is what you get. Because when you know me, know the real me you know that I'm anything but what you see. Most of the time. So read on my friends. And you will catch my gripping, views, sarcasm and dry of whit. Read on....I dare you.

Monday, April 21, 2008

The evil's of getting a pet from a breeder

I have never bought a pet from a breeder, as my mom instilled in me the fact that 'homeless' pets are in need of love, security and a home more. 'homeless pets' being those in the pound or at animal shelters. And although she had pure-breed dogs growing up, my grandparents never paid for them. Because you know, back in the day...who had money to buy a pet? And I appreciate the fact that we've always rescued our pets. I've had much success with my pets that way: Scruffy came from Northshore Animal League and we had her for 16 years. Pooka and Cro`i came from Save-A-Pet, and we've had them for almost six years. As a small kid, we also got the random pet from people in front of grocery stores giving away litters. (I miss seeing that now-a-days.) The only pet that didn't work out for us, which we got from a shelter was Blaze...but she was re-adopted out and thriving.
There is also no such thing as a FREE PET. The 'free pet' falls into the category of urban legend, mythical creature, and lives somewhere with Bigfoot and the Lochness Monster. Maybe Josh Gates should search out the free pet on his adventures. Which brings me to my 'baby' Lola. The cutest pocket puggle one could ever imagine. Originally obtained for my Aunt Ida...she wormed her way in to my heart within a matter of minutes of meeting her, let alone won my mother over too.
If you do decide to go the route of buying a pet from a breeder, please make sure they're a reputable one. I suggest you ask for references, and that you are ABLE to contact the references. Don't take a written testimony as proof. Make sure the breeder and kennels are CLEAN. A clean kennel is the grounds for a healthy pup. Also make sure you have ALL RECORDS on your pet, medical as well as breeding papers.
The reason why I say all this is Lola the cutest pocket puggle has been battling coccidia for a month now. I am not sure (but believe) she was sick with the parasite prior to us getting her. And the reason why I feel this, is because the breeder told me she was under the weather. We got Lola on March 15th, and on the 16th she had dirreah, and a bit of blood in her stool which raised the red flags, and had me at the vet with her on the 17th. Coccidia is not a fatal issue (if caught quickly and treated aggressively.) But it is time consuming, and just annoying...plus between being at the vet for Lola's shots, stool samples, and office visits for the coccidia, she is costing me a small fortune. Thus my stating THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS A FREE PET.
Would I (or my family) think of trading her in? Hell no, we all love Lola so much. Are we sorry we got her? Hell no, she has brought us such joy. And am I saying that only healthy pups and dogs live in animal shelters? No.....but when it comes time to bring a pet home, just really investigate and weigh all your options.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home