Sarcasm & Cynicism...served up by Single Grl

Life is full of stories and as they say the truth is stranger than fiction. Ask who knows me. I may speak softly, and I may look sweet. But under NO circumstances think for just one second that what you see is what you get. Because when you know me, know the real me you know that I'm anything but what you see. Most of the time. So read on my friends. And you will catch my gripping, views, sarcasm and dry of whit. Read on....I dare you.

Monday, April 10, 2006

Family and the holidays (any holiday...just pick one damn it!)

Spring is in the air...and with it the smells of chocolate. Easter bunny chocolate...Cadbury speckled eggs, M&M's a new and improved (how the hell do you improve M&M's) varieties, Twix, 3 Muskater's, and Reece's Peanut Butter cups all encased in pastel wrappers. And with the purchasing of candies, and fighting the throngs of crazed shoppers in Wal-Mart or Target, your mind races to the actual holiday day. The one where you'll be facing family. 13 other family members (or more if your even more unlucky). Cousins upon cousin's, where their children continue to mock your height (as they tower over you), or cling to their mother who is freakishly quiet. Where you stare at one another and bite your lip just to keep yourself from blurting out: 'What the hell were you thinking when you decided to cook that? Did you ever hear of a recipe?'
But I jump ahead. Because it isn't necessarily the actual holiday you dread. Perhaps it is the preparation. Take for example the menu planning and grocery shopping. Because everyone thinks they can cook. And people have their specialties that they can cook. And yet there are others (and I am blessed or cursed depending on how you look at it) to have several in my family. Take my mother and our cousin. Oh, they will watch the cooking network for hours on end, 'ooohhhing' and 'ahhhing' over the delicious things Emril or Rachel or Paula creates. They'll even go as far as to print out the recipe. But do they ever follow the recipe??? Maybe I should rephrase- do they follow the instructions or exact ingredients??? Hell no. Because what's the fun in that? Why should they listen to the experts? (And I digress) Why not try the WHITE POTATOES FROM A CAN THAT ARE PLUNKED IN MAPLE SYRUP WITH MARSHMALLOW MELTED ON TOP IN A FORM OF CANDIED WHITE POTATOES before you turn your nose up at them. If you can have candied sweet potatoes, why not candied white ones?
And what may I ask is so wrong with buying the ingredients off the shopping list that has been created for you per your request? If on the list is written (2 Lbs.) SMALL red potatoes, what on God's green earth would possess you to purchase 5 Lbs. of LARGE red potatoes. And instead of going to a normal grocery store, why would you drag your shopping buddy to a Produce Market/ Best Yet type of place. You know what I'm talking about...the one where all non-produce items are jacked up on cost? And Then you complain about it, and refuse to buy more than your normal grocery shopping of: carton of milk, loaf of bread, and okay instead of (1) dozen eggs buy (4). And being that not everyone likes to eat the old food, from when you were a kid...Whether it be for diet or health issues; GET OVER IT. The past is the past.

Let's go back to the candy. Growing up, I never felt like I lived in Willie Wonka's chocolate factory. I never was allowed to indulge in mass quantities of chocolate. Not that I ever felt deprived, mind you. But I'm 29 for God's sake. If I go in to my dining room, this is what we have:

  1. multiple boxes of small Russell Stover Chocolate bunnies (aprox. 5)
  2. marshmallow Eggs
  3. 2 boxes of the hollow bunnies
  4. Jelly Beans (fruity flavored)
  5. Jelly Beans (spiced kind)
  6. Peeps (because marshmallow eggs isn't enough marshmallow)
  7. Truffle Bunnies (Hershey)
  8. Butterfinger mini eggs

Let me remind you all, there are no small children in my house. And the relatives that we'll be blessed with having on Easter Sunday? There is only one of them, under the ager of 15. So what the hell is with all the candy?

Which brings me back to the relatives. Spots on the couch will be fought over, because you know people will be wanting their naps. (Yes, naps are big with certain relatives). The same remarks about height, relationship status, requests to borrow movies or books will have to be artfully dodged. I'll count the minutes until I can sneak out for a smoke, or call one of my best friend's to see if they will let me escape to their house. But if I try to escape, have the other relative, and their company (across the street) to contend with. And should I come in to contact with them, will be questioned about my escape plan. And even if I can get the escape offer, will I have the energy to actually follow up? Because you know damn well...no one ever arrives when they're supposed to. So no one leaves your house on time either. And when you've been cooking for 48 hours, no thanks to mother-dearest's assistance...all you'll want to do is take a nap.

But you can't. Because there are the relatives. All spread out over the 'bordello' couch. Watching your tv....and not making any room for you.

Holiday movies not to be missed:

The Ref

Home For The Holidays

5 Comments:

  • At 11:35 AM , Blogger Piccu said...

    Good luck with all that! I am looking forward to Easter because it shouldn't vary too much from any spring Sunday for me at least activities wise.

    I begin the day early by going to church for some good breakfast grub. Back home, back to church, back home and I'm spent.

    Most of my day will consist of watching baseball games while any other family around will be sleeping. We used to do the whole family together thing when we were kids, but now we just stick to our family homes and call it even.

    I hope you can find something that lifts your spirits on Easter. At least you can get a killer sugar high if you eat all that candy.

     
  • At 4:57 PM , Blogger claire said...

    i think you need to move.

    My brother should be looking for a place by the start of summer... maybe you can go halfsies.

    :) At least we all think so.

    what IS up with all that candy?

     
  • At 6:29 PM , Blogger Orelinde_03 said...

    With all the complaining I do, it is a nice day...in the long run. And I can always escape for a few minutes to the upstairs, and add entries to the blog if things really get hairy.

    Enjoy your Easter Sunday...relish the normalacy of it and the quiet. How many siblings do you have?

    The thought of consuming ALL that candy has crossed my mind time and again. But I'd either have a sugar coma or get sick to my stomach if I tried. Not a big candy fan....although if it's dark chocolate it's M-I-N-E!!!

    I like my chocolate like I like my coffee, dark...just like my heart!

     
  • At 6:32 PM , Blogger Orelinde_03 said...

    Claire!!!! What's going on with him and 'the woman'??? Is he really going to move on and out?

    Well you know...it's candy. Sugar and fat and everything Lucretia should not be eating due to the diabetis, and heart, and other medical issues she has. She even commented to Ida that she is 'becoming more and more like (uncle) Frank as she gets older. Not really something you want to do, know what I mean???

    And yes, I am constructing an Easter basket for Ida, the kit's, myself and mother-dearest. But it is to share (no chocolate for the kit's though) and I know I can limit myself.

     
  • At 9:08 AM , Blogger Piccu said...

    I have a younger brother and an older half-brother. Dark chocolate is my favorite too. I used to hate it as a kid. Whenever we got the bag of small hershey's candies I would never eat the dark. As I grew older I found that I liked it more.

    Coffee on the other hand is not my favorite unless it is masked by lots of milk or cream or sugar or anything that makes it not taste like coffee.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home